The Importance of Good Office Lighting
The quality of office lighting plays a vital role in employee productivity, health and well-being. The right type of office lighting can significantly impact employees’ well-being, comfort, and overall performance, whilst poor lighting can have the reverse effect and cause various health issues.
LED lights are rising in popularity due to their energy efficiency and consistent and balanced light distribution, which can help minimise headaches and eye strain. Read on to find out more about the impact of office lighting on employees’ productivity, and the benefits of investing in LED lighting upgrades for your office building.
How Does Office Lighting Affect Employee Productivity, Health & Wellbeing?
The quality of office lighting has a profound effect on employee productivity. Providing adequate lighting can create a beneficial office environment to enhance employee focus, attention, and efficiency. Insufficient lighting, or lighting that is too harsh, can lead to health complaints which can negatively impact productivity and your employees’ general health and well-being, such as:
- Eye strain
- Lack of alertness
By incorporating some fundamental lighting principles, you can positively influence the well-being of your employees and contribute to a happier and healthier workforce.
Choosing the Best Type of Office Lighting
LED (Light-Emitting Diode) and fluorescent lights are the two most common options when selecting the best office lighting. Here, we compare the pros and cons of each to help you understand the benefits and make an informed decision on the best lighting for your office space:
LED vs Fluorescent Lighting
- Fluorescent Lights:
- Pros: Affordable, low upfront cost, widely available from local retailers.
- Cons: Potential flickering and buzzing, emit UV radiation, and requires more regular replacement, sometimes as soon as every 1,000-2,000 hours.
- LED Lights:
- Pros: Energy-efficient, longer lifespan typically between 50,000 and 100,000 hours, no flickering or buzzing, no UV radiation, environmentally friendly, and low maintenance.
- Cons: Higher initial cost.
Benefits of LED Lighting for Offices
LED lighting is highly energy-efficient compared to fluorescent lighting. LED lights consume up to 80% less energy, resulting in substantial cost savings on electricity bills. They also have a longer lifespan, reducing the frequency of bulb replacements and maintenance costs. While the initial investment for LED lighting may be higher, the long-term savings over six years outweigh the upfront expense, making it a financially sound choice for businesses. See the difference in running costs by year in our LED vs Non-LED Running Cost Comparison chart.
LED lighting provides a brighter, more consistent illumination, minimising eye strain and headaches and enhancing concentration. LED lights closely mimic natural light, providing the best environmental conditions for a working environment. Installing LED lights in your office can create a well-lit environment that promotes focus and alertness, increasing employee productivity and efficiency and decreasing stress and anxiety.
Tips for Achieving Great Quality Office Lighting
To optimise the benefits of office lighting, consider the following tips:
Use More Natural Light:
- Maximise natural light by positioning employee desks near windows and sunlight where possible. Exposure to natural light can boost mood, and increase overall job satisfaction, leading to a happier and more positive workforce. In contrast, artificial lighting can lead to an uncomfortable working environment when not used efficiently.
Allow Employees to Adjust Their Lighting Levels Individually:
- Provide employees with control over their lighting levels where it is possible to do so. Adjustable task lighting allows them to personalise their workspace lighting according to their needs. Studies have shown that giving workers in open-plan offices local control of lighting can increase job satisfaction and decrease the experience of stress.
Invest in LED Lights:
- Upgrade your office lighting to LED fixtures. LED lights provide superior illumination, energy efficiency, and a longer lifespan, reducing costs and enhancing employee performance. LED lights also have adjustable colour temperature options and light levels. Warmer colour temperatures (around 3500K) are ideal for promoting relaxation, while cooler light colour temperatures (around 5000K) are suitable for increasing focus and alertness.
By choosing the right type of lighting and optimising lighting effectiveness, businesses can create a more productive and pleasant work environment for their employees. LED lighting is the best option when considering improving working conditions for employees due to its energy efficiency, cost-saving opportunity, and positive impact on office workers’ performance and well-being.
At Akehurst Electrical Services, we specialise in a range of commercial electrical services. Upgrade your office lighting to LED light bulbs today and reap the benefits of improved productivity and a happier workforce.