A NICEIC approved contractor has the skills and expertise to complete your job professionally and on time. There are many things to consider when it comes to commercial electrical work. Every aspect requires attention to detail, from safety standards to operational efficiency and potential downtime. Choosing the right electrician is a critical decision for your business.
This article explores the role of the NICEIC and its importance in supporting safe installation & maintenance in the electrical services industry. It also explains the benefits of opting for a NICEIC approved contractor.
What is the NICEIC?
The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) is the UK’s leading certification body for the electrical contracting industry. It offers certification services, products, and support to electrical contractors, ensuring they meet high standards for safety and quality of work. The NICEIC set extensive membership requirements to ensure the industry’s high standard of electrical labour is adhered to and maintained.
What is a NICEIC Electrician?
A NICEIC electrician is a fully qualified electrical contractor who has met the rigorous requirements set by the NICEIC. Once membership is granted, assessments are undertaken regularly to maintain compliance with national safety standards and codes of practice. Being NICEIC registered means that the electrician can deliver electrical work that meets the safety and quality criteria set by the NICEIC for all electrical work undertaken.
Why Should I Use a NICEIC Approved Contractor?
When considering hiring a commercial electrician, there are many benefits to opting for someone who is NICEIC-registered. From safety considerations to the comprehensive range of services that they can provide, some of the best reasons to opt for an NICEIC-qualified electrician include:
Safety & Compliance
- Ensures all electrical work completed is guaranteed to meet the UK national safety standards.
- Regular inspections and auditing by the governing body of the NICEIC ensure ongoing compliance.
Expertise & Knowledge
- Extensive training and experience in all types of commercial electrical work.
- In-depth understanding of complex electrical systems and how to rectify different issues.
Trust & Reassurance
- High standards of work guarantee reliability and reassurance for all jobs.
- Consumer protection policies are in place for the rare case of dispute resolution.
- Consistent delivery of excellent service to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Use of high-quality materials and advanced techniques.
- Regular training provided by the NICEIC ensures all approved contractors stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and safety protocols.
- Undertaking regular training ensures all member’s skill sets evolve with the industry standards.
Comprehensive Range of Services
- Competent and confident when handling a variety of electrical installation and maintenance tasks.
- Able to provide a customised solution for various types of unique commercial needs.
Able to Provide Certification
- Necessary documentation and certifications for compliance and insurance purposes can be provided.
Does An Electrician Have to Be NICEIC Registered?
While there’s no legal requirement for an electrician to be NICEIC approved, hiring an electrician with NICEIC certification will ensure the safety and quality of the electrical work undertaken. Due to the extensive training and regular assessments that NICEIC approved contractors are required to complete, opting for a fully qualified electrician will give you peace of mind, knowing that all electrical work has been completed to the highest possible standard while following all safety procedures.
What is the Difference Between An NICEIC Approved Contractor and an NICEIC-Registered Electrician?
A NICEIC Approved Contractor is a higher level of accreditation than a NICEIC Registered Electrician. To become an Approved Contractor, an electrician must meet a stricter set of criteria, including:
- Having a minimum of five years’ experience in electrical contracting.
- Passing a thorough assessment of their technical knowledge and skills.
- Committing to NICEIC’s Code of Conduct.
A NICEIC Registered Electrician is a lower level of accreditation that is available to electricians who have less experience or who do not work in the commercial or industrial sectors. To become a Registered Electrician, an electrician must:
- Hold a valid City & Guilds NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Installations.
- Be registered with a Competent Person Scheme (CPS).
- Have a minimum of two years’ experience in electrical contracting.
Why Choose Akehurst?
At Akehurst Electrical Services, all our electricians are NICEIC approved. We pride ourselves on offering a high standard of service, ensuring that you receive professional electrical work of the highest quality for your commercial property.
All our electrical work, from installations and maintenance to repairs, meets the high standards required by the NICEIC. Whether it’s a simple electrical installation or a comprehensive electrical system overhaul, our range of services is specially tailored to meet all your commercial needs.
Contact us today to for a quote, to learn more about the benefits of using a NICEIC approved contractor or our extensive range of commercial electrical services.